|In 1666 (Kanbun6), Lord Mitsumasa Ikeda of Bizen visited a quiet place at Nobuhara Kitahashi in Kidani, Wake-gun on a inspection tour of his domain. He immediately thought of building an educational utopia, a large-scale learning place for common people. In order to realize an ambitious idea of his own, Lord Mitsumasa opened a learning place in 1668 (Kanbun 8). In 1670 (Kanbun10), his chief retainer Nagatada Tsuda began to build a full-scale construction and changed the name of the place to Shizutani. Lord Mitsumasa was so enthusiastic about building the school that he made arrangements for the school to be able to manage independently even if the Ikeda family had to be relocated. The school building was roofed with Bizen Pottery. To provide the roof tiles, he took the trouble to build a kiln nearby and brought potters from Imbe area.
His enthusiasm was inherited by his successor Lord Tsunamasa. The existing school facilities were completed by Lord Tsunamasa and Nagatada Tsuda in the Genroku years. However, the design and construction technology still has not lost its splendor. The school accepted not only common people and samurai children in the domain but also people from other domains. The spirit of Lord Mitsumasa and Nagatada in building the school continued uninterruptedly, offering many opportunities for scholars and literary people like Raisanyo. The Shizutani School and the other domain school in the Okayama Castle town were the two leading educational institutions in the domain, and their history and tradition continued even in the Meiji Period, producing many able people to date.