Partners’ Program at the G7 Ise-Shima Summit (Day 1, Afternoon)
May 26, 2016
On May 26, Mrs. Akie Abe, spouse of the Prime Minister of Japan, hosted the Partners’ Program (Day 1, afternoon) at the G7 Ise-Shima Summit in Mie. In attendance of this program were: Mr. Prof. Dr. Joachim Sauer, spouse of the Chancellor of Germany; Mrs. Sophie Grégoire-Trudeau, spouse of the Prime Minister of Canada; and Mrs. Małgorzata Tusk, spouse of the President of the European Council.
1. Mrs. Abe and spouses of G7 leaders paid a visit to Mikimoto Pearl Island , located in Toba City, Mie Prefecture. After being welcomed by local residents, the delegation viewed a performance by Ama divers and visited the Pearl Museum, and also experienced pearl harvesting. The delegation members also interacted with the Ama divers and deepened their appreciation of Japanese culture while enjoying a taiko drum performance and the Ise Ondo (Ise chorus song).
2. The spouses joined a tree-planting ceremony in the garden of the Shima Kanko Hotel The Club with Mr. Eikei Suzuki, Governor of Mie Prefecture, and elementary school children from the prefecture.
3. As a way of showing her hospitality to the spouses of G7 leaders, Mrs. Abe offered and introduced dishes that were made from the wealth of foods produced in Mie Prefecture and Japanese sake from disaster-affected regions as well as Japanese wine at dinner. This was an extremely valuable opportunity to promote Japan’s food culture.
- Date and time held: 7:50-9:30 p.m., Thursday, May 26
- Venue: Lien, Shima Kanko Hotel The Club
- (1) Chef: Masaharu Kayagasako, Executive Chef, Japanese cuisine, Shima Kanko Hotel, and Head Chef, Japanese Cuisine, Sheraton Miyako Hotel Osaka
(2) Patissier: Tetsuro Akasaki, Head of Baking, Bar and Restaurant Division, Shima Kanko Hotel, and Patissier, Osaka Marriott Miyako Hotel
Partners’ Program at the G7 Ise-Shima Summit (Day 2)
May 27, 2016
On May 27, Mrs. Akie Abe, spouse of the Prime Minister of Japan hosted the second day of Partners’ Program at the G7 Ise-Shima Summit in Mie. In attendance were; Mrs. Sophie Grégoire-Trudeau, spouse of the Prime Minister of Canada; and Mrs. Małgorzata Tusk, spouse of the President of the European Council.
1. Spouses of G7 leaders paid a visit to the International Media Center (IMC). Having visited its Japan Exhibition and Mie Information Center, they deepened their understanding on the technology and traditional arts of Japan and Mie. Furthermore, they participated in a workshop of bamboo crafting, after which they visited a Paralympic sports event.
2. Throughout the two-day programme, the spouses became more acquainted with one another in a relaxed atmosphere, experiencing the beautiful nature and rich culture of Japan, as well as enjoying cuisine prepared from the wide variety of foods produced in Mie.
Paralympics Sports Event at the International Media Center (IMC) during the G7 Ise-Shima Summit
On May 27th, on the occasion of the G7 Ise-Shima Summit at the International Media Center (IMC), the Sports Event was held. This was as a part of the public relations activities for Japanese efforts on paralympic sport under the auspices of the Nippon Foundation Paralympic Center.
Students from a local elementary school, Sigou Elementary School (Ise City) and Nagoya International School participated in the event and deepened their understanding on Paralympic sports with guidance from former professional Paralympians.
The spouses of G7 leaders visited the event, and enjoyed an exchange with the Paralympic athletes and students such as trying blind soccer.